Sunday 21 July 2013

Winter Glee...............


Thought I'd introduce the newest member to our Property , the not to shy Scarlet Robin!
He has been seen here and there over the last couple of weeks and then unexpectedly decided to keep me company for over 2 hours while I weeded the plot.
As I finished weeding each section and then moved onto the next he would quickly dash down to the soil and within a second pick what caught his eye and then retreat to the wire fence.
I'm hoping the many small shrubs, ground covers, grasses and wattles I have planted over the last year will provide protection and food and encourage the many small birds which are visiting the garden to come back and even nest close by......................

                                                                                   
The last few days have brought lovely steady rain enough to fill our dams and water tanks till overflowing..............Saturdays temperature was a high of 5C  and with more rain fore-casted I headed off to Town to do a few chores, I must admit I did feel a bit guilty driving off and leaving the dogs on the veranda but I did give them a bone each !!

First up I stopped at my favourite cafe for coffee and was lucky to grab the best seat (well I think it is) as I sat waiting for my coffee I noticed the rain starting to turn to sleet and then to wonderful large flakes of snow...................

 
 

     Shopping done, visit to the Library and then home to spend the afternoon in front of the fire.                                                                          
                                                           A Perfect Winter's Day.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect day to me, too. Though we are smack dab in the middle of summer, I have started to long for colder evenings and warm stew. I'll wait patiently and enjoy our harvests while we have them, but I do love fall and the beginning of winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrrr, it looks chilly. Hope that fire kept you nice and warm! The snow is magical though isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do like a scarlet robin. We have several here at the moment. Their little chests stand out in the gloomy, cold, grey, winter weather. Can you tell I am ready for spring? I guess you are too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful to have such pretty feathered friends to keep you company in the garden. I am looking at your wintry photos and actually look forward to our winter! 3 pallets of firewood have been delivered so we are set and ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to catch up on your posts Andrea. I loved the Robins visiting here over Winter. There were more sightings this season, than in my entire life I'm sure......Al though I never had one accompany me while I gardened, that is rather special.
    So nice to nab the best seat in the cafe, makes the coffee taste better I'm sure and the snow, wow, how lovely. Sorry I didn't make it over there during Winter.....

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Claire, can't believe how many different birds are visiting our garden, (well it may have something to do with a neighbour who sadly passed away and her 70 cats being removed by her family and local council) We have a family of firetails who have taken up residence and are nesting in or under a huge bushy wattle tree. X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment,I love reading them all!!