Monday 2 April 2012

Monday's Harvest.

                                                         
The last of the basil was harvested before the threat of an early frost, we have been enjoying beautiful sunny days of 27C and cold clear nights great for star-watching....................


This is my first ever batch of pesto made with my own garlic and my neighbour's olive oil . There was only enough to make one jar and I'm certainly going to make it last ...................... I even broke up pieces of bread and wiped the processor clean, yum!
Was delicious with spaghetti...................memories of Italy.............


Other greens harvested during the week were for the new girls on the block......... they join the older 3 girls in the flock.




 Each day leaves from Tuscan Kale, Parsley and Dwarf curly Kale.






If this is dwarf kale I'd hate to see what giant kale looks like.






Monday's Harvest is hosted by Daphne at Daphne's Dandelions, drop by and see what others are harvesting around the globe.




                        " All my hurts my garden spade can heal"                                    
                        
                                   Ralph Waldo Emerson
                                Essayist and Poet (1803-1882)

10 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I have never made fresh pesto before! I'm hoping this will be the year I can grow enough basil to change that ;-) Everything looks wonderful! Happy harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you have a good season and lots of basil, it really is rewarding to make your own even if its a small batch.

      Delete
  2. wow, that kale looks like a tree!

    Pesto; when I have lots of basil and make pesto I leave out the pine nuts and cheese, pack it into small wide mouth jelly jars (2-4 ounce size), cover with about 1/8 inch of olive oil, put on the lids and put in the freezer. Then in the winter I can take it out to thaw, add pine nuts and cheese then press it back down under the oil until I use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary that's i great hint to store the pesto(maybe next years harvest if i have lots) it must be so nice to enjoy in Winter.

      Delete
  3. He he that kale is fab. I love the idea of pesto made with olive oil that local. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow that is a huge kale. It looks more like tree kale than dwarf kale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to start measuring this giant Kale maybe give him a name too, i wonder how high it will eventually grow.................

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost smell your basil and pesto from my side of the screen! Our temps are doing the see-saw effect again as it went from the 18°C to 10°C within a day. It should start to warm up again for Easter...or so we all hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have made your own pesto. Basil does NOT like the Scottish climate. Kale is okay, but I've never seen a plant that big!

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda, the climate plays a huge role here too some years its so hot everything curls up and dies, this summer season was a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment,I love reading them all!!