Sunday 5 June 2011

PRODUCE EXCHANGE

A local and popular event in a little village close to our Farm is the monthly Produce Exchange. This is held under the veranda of a local shop (very useful if raining or really hot) and anyone is welcome to bring along their excess produce to exchange, at the end of the morning any leftovers are donated to the community garden.
                                                                   My Contribution

Today my contribution  to the table was assorted lettuce seedlings, potted garlic, bunching onions and lemons. Other produce included silver beet, lemon balm, Jerusalem artichoke, butternut pumpkin, strawberry runners, eggs, marmalade, green tomato pickles and small Loquat trees.

Always good to catch up with friends , hear whats growing well for others and pick up any hints ( a recipe using Dutch Medlar) that will have to wait for next post while I try it out!
Well I didn't stay around for too long because I wanted to head off to another little town for their Winter Regional Produce Market.
This little market features locally grown and produced items , Wine, olive oil, vegetables, chutneys, jams, cakes, hand spun &knitted hats and scarves and heaps more!!
My favorite stall has plants, seeds and vegetables and all money raised goes to the Fistula Hospital in Ethiopia, today I brought a beautiful big rhubarb crown and seeds,
broad beans, climbing beans , bush beans, lettuce(red oak leaf) Sugar snap peas and Green feast Peas, Holly Hocks and Love in a Mist.
On the way out into my basket slipped a couple of lemon tarts for afternoon tea and I happily headed home to an afternoon of planting!!




                                 Driving home I saw this new sign and stopped to take a look


                                                          This stand gets your attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment,I love reading them all!!